Soccer‎ > ‎

2008 Recap

Tuesday, November 4, 2008


Baltimore Kickers rally to take Division lead


After a thrilling come from behind 2-1 victory this past Tuesday evening at Catonsville High School over Middle River F.C., the Baltimore Kickers are in sole possession of first place of the second division in the Maryland Major Soccer League.


The Kickers conceded an early goal when keeper Mike Lott misplayed a strong shot from distance, roughly 10 minutes into the first half.  Regardless of being down, the Kickers dominated play, controlling possession and stifling any build up Middle River could mount.  Baltimore pressured the ball all over the field and pressed for the tying score the entire first half.  Midfielder Greg Keller had a few solid chances on frame, but MRFC’s goalie was on point to stop the shots.  The two teams entered halftime with Middle River still clinging to a one goal lead.


Baltimore maintained their intensity in the second half and it paid off 13 minutes in, when forward Ray Sturm touched in a brilliant cross by the opposing team’s keeper to level the score at 1-1.  Almost 15 minutes later, forward Brandon Morgan got the game winner.  The Kickers nearly added to the lead when stopper Brandon Kennel’s one on one was stopped.  Ricky Sanchez also could’ve also built on to the lead but came up short on a couple of one on ones of his own.  The team held on as the final whistle blew and a weary Middle River squad put up a valiant effort to tie the game. 


Overall, in the month of October, the Kickers scored 19 goals and gave up none while going 4-0 in league play. 


With two games left, the Kickers look to keep the top spot in Division II when the playoffs start on Sunday, November 23.


The team also registered for the DiMarco Cup which will begin play in early December. The DiMarco Cup is strictly for teams in Maryland Major’s second division. The team hopes to win the league’s regular season title, the league’s playoffs, and the DiMarco Cup; a feat that has not been accomplished in a number years by any team in the league.  


Sunday, September 21, 2008


Offense struggles to put away undermanned Portside


Kingsville, MD – The Baltimore Kickers battled to a 1-1 tie with Portside on Sunday, September 21 in their third match of the 2008 Maryland Major season.


The rout looked to be on as Baltimore dominated possession from the onset, especially coming off a 5-0 thrashing of Kings Villa United the Sunday before. The Kickers expected to continue their scoring ways but found Portside up to task. Baltimore had numerous chances to put the ball in the back of the net but, came up empty.


A goal by Drew Dipasquale, assisted by Justin Somerville, seemed to finally give Baltimore the 1-0 lead they greatly anticipated.  Portside’s efforts barely got them across midfield but when they were able to go forward, they made the Kickers’ defense work.  The first half seemed to settle with the Kickers controlling the ball and Portside trying to get out of their end.  Right before the halftime whistle, the Kickers defense cracked, only slightly, but enough for Portside to get an equalizer.  Kickers’ goalkeeper Mike Lott played a long punt that was headed back in his direction, bouncing over a Kickers defender and right on to the foot of Portside’s forward.  The opposing attacker saw Lott out of position and touched the ball by him to make the score 1-1.


Sensing an urgency to get three points and climb to the top of the table, Baltimore came out pushing for the go ahead tally. The second half followed much like the first, with a strong Kickers squad maintain possession and Portside defending.  Baltimore had plenty of good looks on goal but no one could knock home the game winner.


The game ended in a tie, 1-1. Portside was happy to get a point and escape with only having 11 men.  The Kickers were a dejected bunch who will look to post their second win of the young season next week.     


Sunday, September 14, 2008


Kickers get first win of fall season


Kingsville, MD – The Baltimore Kickers put up five goals on their way to blanking Kings Villa United 5-0 on smoldering hot morning on Sunday, September 14, 2008.


From the opening whistle the Kickers controlled possession of the ball.  Kings Villa had a few chances on goal, but no serious threats.  Roughly midway through the first half, newcomer Adam Noll (Forward), put the Kickers on the scoreboard with a brilliant tally.  After a number of shots sailed passed the goal, a firm cross was played to the six-yard box from the right flank. Noll beat his defender and re-directed the ball towards goal.  As the first half came to a close, the Kickers served a floating cross deep from the left of the 18 yard box.  Forward Ray Sturm, was alone on the back post and calmly headed the ball home to give the Kickers a 2-0 halftime lead.


The second half saw Kings Villa come out with resilience to get on the board and cut their deficit.  The Kickers handled the opposition’s attack and continued to maintain the better of play.  Midfielder Greg Keller increased the Kickers’ lead and snuffed out any comeback notions with a left-footed laser that skimmed off a defender’s head and rung off the left post, into the goal.  Kings Villa continued to battle but the Kickers found the back of the net two more times before the final whistle. Co-Captain and assistant coach, Lance Reedinger and Keller got the last two scores for the Kickers. 

September 7, 2008

Baltimore Kickers   2

JA Raiders              2


Catonsville, MD – The Baltimore Kickers opened their 2008 Maryland Major Soccer League campaign on Sunday, September 7 with a 2-2 draw to the JA Raiders at home on Steffen Field.


The Kickers came out strong off the opening whistle and pressed for the opening tally.  Mid-way through the first half, they got it. Baltimore was awarded a direct kick at the top right of the Raiders' 18-yard box. Forward Ray Sturm calmly struck a left-footed ball around the wall and on goal.  The keeper bobbled the save and midfielder Justin Somerville finished the rebound. 


The Kickers added to their 1-0 lead roughly eight minutes later, when Sturm pressured the Raiders backline and gained possession of the ball just about at the same spot he took the direct kick.  He looked up, and saw the opposing goalie out of position and lofted a curling left-footed shot to the far post.  The ball nestled in the left side netting of the goal to give the Kickers a 2-0 cushion.  A few minutes later, the Raiders cut their deficit in half with a 21 yard strike that knuckled and curved passed Kickers keeper, Mike Lott.


The half ended with Baltimore ahead 2-1. 


The second half saw the Raiders come out with a sense of urgency to get an equalizer, while the Kickers we sluggish to maintain control of the ball.  As the teams battled, about 17 minutes into the half, midfielder John Evermann went down with what turned out to be a sprained knee.  Time was called by the officials and an ambulance arrived as a precaution to take him to a local hospital.  Evermann will be out four to six weeks resting and recovering from his injury. 


When play resumed, the Raiders continued to push forward and the Kickers struggled to find the rhythm they displayed in the first half.  With just over 10 minutes to play, the Raiders knotched the tying score.  Coming down the right flank, slightly beyond midfield, they played a high arching cross to their forward just at the top left of the Kickers 18-yard box.  Their forward took a couple of touches and flipped a ball to the opposite post, beating Lott and the Kickers' defense. 


The game ended 2-2, with both squads earning a point for the tie.   


The Baltimore Kickers finished with a 2-2 record this past weekend (August 16) at the annual Delaware Kickers 7 v 7 Soccer Tournament. 


In their first game of the day against Greenhaus, the Kickers were sluggish off the opening kickoff and were downed 6-2.  It was a costly loss in more than one way as Mike Lott (Asst. coach & co-captain) the Kickers starting goalkeeper, went down with a knee injury in the first 16 minutes of the game. Head Coach Ricky Sanchez (co-captain) stepped in and played in the nets the rest of the day.  


After shaking off the morning rust, the Kickers began to gel and put together a much better effort against the team that typically wins the tournament, Jakers.  Baltimore took a 1-0 lead on a great shot that nipped the post and caromed in the net. The Kickers created chance after chance to put the game out of reach, but came up empty.  Sanchez played well in goal but the defense brokedown as the game wound down giving up two scores.  The game ended in another, but close, loss for the Kickers 2-1.  The team stared to find their groove and coaches Sanchez and Lott made some formation adjustments heading into the final two games.


The host DSB team took on the Kickers in the third match of the day.  Baltimore continued to work well together and took the victory 1-0. The Kickers squandered numerous scoring opportunities but were still able to hold on for the win.


The last game of the afternoon saw two teams that have had a heated rivaly over the years, the Springfield, VA Kickers and our Baltimore Kickers.  Baltimore got on the board early only to have Springfield tie the game.  Baltimore had the better of play and eventually netted three more tallies to earn the 4-1 win.



A great time was had by all and the team looks forward to going back to Delaware next summer.        


Celebrating 55 Years of Soccer in Baltimore
The upcoming 2008 fall soccer season will mark the 55th year the Baltimore Kickers Club will sponsor a men's soccer team.  The men's team competes in the Maryland Major Soccer League,  The MMSL was established in 1965 and competing teams are all located in, or around, the greater
Baltimore City area. The MMSL is affiliated with the Maryland State Soccer Association (MSSA), the United States Soccer Federation (USSF), U.S. Soccer, and FIFA. The men's adult league is one of the strongest leauges in the state and is comprised of two divisions and two annual cups. Division 1 is made up of regionally and nationally competitive teams.
The Baltimore Kickers men's team will compete in Division 2 of the MMSL this fall along with the following other clubs:  JA Raiders, LaBlanquiroja, Angle Inn, Nottingham FC, Desantis, Saprissa, Charles Village, Middle River, White Marsh United, Badgernecks, Maryland FC.
The Kickers will battle for the top spot as the team that wins the Division Championship will get promoted to Division 1 next season. 
The MMSL is slated to begin its games on Sunday, August 24.  As of today, Friday, August 15, the Kickers will open their 2008 campaign at home on Steffen Field in
. The league has not completed its schedule yet, but when it is done, it will be posted on the Kickers website. For updates, news, and the fall schedule on the Kickers men's team as well as directions to their games, visit and click on the "Soccer" tab at the top of the page and look for the link to the "Adult Team".


Baltimore Kickers Fall 2007 to present recap


In the fall of ‘07, The Baltimore Kickers battled through a tough First Division season in the Maryland Major Soccer League (MMSL).  After two opening 3-0 losses against the league’s better squads, Hangover United and A.C. United; the Kickers bounced back to beat the Baltimore Metrostars 2-1.  Over the next four games, the Kickers went 0-2-2 before going on a three game skid.  The three losses were all against MMSL playoff teams.  In the season finale, the Kickers had a strong first half showing, going up 1-0 early in the first half, against Select F.C.  Before halftime, Select took advantage of a defensive lapse and tied the game 1-1.  The two teams each had opportunities to go ahead in the second half but did not finish, and the game ended 1-1.


The Kickers had to rely on the outcome of other MMSL matches in order to avoid relegation to the Second Division. Unfortunately the league’s end results were not in their favor as the team finished 11th out of 12 squads, and in the relegation zone.  The team is nonetheless high spirited about rebuilding in the fall of 2008 and getting back to the top division in the MMSL. 




The New Year began with the Baltimore Kickers in two of the State of Maryland’s oldest tournaments, the Rowland and Stewart Cups.  On January 6, 2008, the Baltimore Kickers faced Select F.C. in the first round of the Rowland Cup; only a month and a half after their last match ended in a 1-1 draw.  This time, the Kickers started out sluggish and Select capitalized with three quick goals in the first half.  The team regrouped and put together a stronger effort in the second half but it was too late as the score was 4-1 at the final whistle.


In the opening round of the Stewart Cup, the Baltimore Kickers took on Towson Ice.  The teams fought hard with Towson gaining a 1-0 advantage in the first half.  The Kickers’ resolve to push towards goal in the second half paid off with a beautiful cross and finish to tie the game at 1-1.  The momentum had swung in favor of the Kickers but they could not get the go ahead point.  The two teams would go to penalty kicks as the score remained deadlocked at 1-1 at the end of regulation and extra time.  The Kickers would eventually fall, 4-2 in PKs.



On Sunday, April 13, 2008, the Baltimore Kickers began play in the Howard County Men’s Spring Soccer League.  The Kickers are in Division I and currently have a record of 2-1.  In their opening match, they went up 1-0 and dominated play, but became complacent and fell 2-1.  Since then, the Kickers have won their last two games by the score of 4-0 and 3-1.